Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 1997 18:03:36 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Version Resolution?

>> > It has to be done by CVS; each commit increments a counter.  This means
>> > that simultaneous commits become impossible, as the object containing
>> > the counter has to be locked as part of the commit.
>>
>> This file then increases w/out bounds, which is unacceptable.
>
>Why?
>
>Seriously; I don't consider expanding files a good thing, but I
>actually can't see that this is a problem in this case.  The CVS
>repository is increasing 'without bounds' already; we have much more
>data added each day than this.  I don't see that this bloat is that
>serious.  (I don't like the solution, but I don't see it as a fatal
>flaw - we can, if necessary, nuke the file w/history with regular
>intervals).

That is, in effect, what I do. The only problem is that Nate INSISTS
that we must AUTOMATICALLY recognize new branches. He is somehow
afraid that someone might mess up the RCS template if they were to
do it manually.

I don't accept his arguments. There are already plenty of ways that
people already cause problems when they make a mistake. I feel that
holding this code to a higher standard is unwarranted.

He also rejects the claim that the changes occur only once or twice
a year. However, I leave it to the reader to examine the branch
point dates of 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2 and today's date.

I refuse to spend the extra effort to automate this function when we
have not even established that the overall methodology will be
something that is actually retained.

I argue that we should install the code as things are and, based on
actual experience, see what changes are needed. Once the scheme is
stable, the automation can be added as an enhancement.

Richard Wackerbarth