Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 21:17:07 -0400
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Vinum question, bugs...

Ok. I'm feeling a bit stupid now, but I think I found some vinum bugs
that are helping. I'm working with 3.2 for reference.

I have two large (18GB) SCSI disks on seperate controllers, so I figured
I'd try mirroring ~8GB with Vinum for our CVS repository. I thought that
this way, if I lost either disk, I'd still have a copy of the truely
critical stuff online.

I've read the vinum docs online, as well as in the 3rd edition of the Complete
FreeBSD. Heck, I even went to Greg's talk at Usenix. I think I'm just
losing my mind.

What I'm trying to do is use the following configuration file:

drive d1 device /dev/da0s1e
drive d2 device /dev/da1s1f
volume cvs
  plex org concat
    sd length 8192m drive d1
  plex org concat
    sd length 8192m drive d2

Now, I'm baffled right at the first line. The various documentation I've read
seems to interchange the term "partition" and "slice" pretty freely. Therefore,
I'm a little confused as to whether I can use a Unix parition (part of the
disk label) as in my sample above, or whether I need a seperate slice
(partition in DOS parlance) to use vinum. When I run the commands from hand, it
seems to give me an error on the first try (incorrect partition type), but
goes through without error the second and subsequent times (I expect a bug
here).

In any event, the documentation I read show it using devices like /dev/da3h,
which should be a parition (disklabel) for a dedicated disk...

Once I've done these two steps, I do an "ld" in vimum, and it shows the disks
as being "down", and 0 of 0MB. Even if I run through the entire config,
which it accepts, it still shows the drives initially in their down state.

Anyhow, if someone could give me the dinky pointer I need to get started on
this, I'd greately appreciate it.

	-Brian