Date:      Wed, 31 Aug 2005 22:30:25 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Igor Sysoev <is@rambler-co.ru>
To:        Stephan Uphoff <ups@tree.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: thanks for commiting (MFC ffs_softdep.c 1.182, softdep.h 1.18) to RELENG_5 and 6. When in 4?

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Stephan Uphoff wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 03:51, Igor Sysoev wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Tomaz Borstnar wrote:
>>
>>>        Would some kind soul MFC ffs_softdep.c 1.182, softdep.h 1.18 into
>>> RELENG_4 as well? This bug is   also present in FreeBSD 4.x. Found it ever
>>> since 4.7.
>>
>> I saw this annoying bug at least since 4.5. I think the fix should be
>> merged not only to RELENG_4, but also at least to RELENG_4_11.
>>
>> I use very similar fix on two 4.10 machines and one 4.11 machine for 6 weeks.
>> Before the fix I had to reboot one of these machines at least once per month
>> and so. Now the bug has gone.
>>
>> Thank you, Stephan!
>
> Glad to hear your success.
> I finally managed to merge it into RELENG_4. (Sorry for the long delay)
> However I don't think we normally merge non-security related fixes to
> RELENG_4_11. (But I will ask around to make sure)

The bug is not directly security-related, however, I saw three various
consequences of the bug:

1) The free space very quickly ends up. It usually happens when
    the big log files are used. I saw it very often. The only way to reclaim
    the space is to reboot. And then fsck would run on these partitions
    (and probably on other partitions if you forgot to umount them
    before reboot).

2) The free inodes ends up. I saw it once. Yes, the only way is the reboot.

2) The vnodes ends up. I saw it once: the most processes stuck in "inode"
    wchan. And yes, probably the only way is the hard reboot: you simply could
    not start the shutdown procedure.

Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/