Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:51:15 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Robin P. Blanchard" <robin.blanchard@georgiacenter.org>, <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: cyrus / sasl / ldap woes

From: "Robin P. Blanchard" <robin.blanchard@georgiacenter.org>
> freshly installed -STABLE with freshly installed ports:
>
> cyrus-imapd-2.0.16_3
> cyrus-sasl-1.5.27_6
> db3-3.2.9_3,1
> makedepend-2000.12.28
> openldap-2.0.25
>

> This test box has the same config as the following, working (production)
> box; but imapd doesn't talk to LDAP (tcpdump verifies this), it just
> checks the sasldb file and gives up.
>
> now, our production mail server is 4.6-STABLE (Sun Jun 16 23:39:27 EDT
> 2002) with the following ports:
>
> cyrus-imapd-2.0.16_2
> cyrus-sasl-1.5.27_1
> db3-3.2.9_3,1
> makedepend-2000.12.28
> openldap-2.0.21
>

> is still chugging along just great, authenticating against LDAP.
>
> anyone else using the combo of ports? any success with the current revs?
>
> ideas?

Does OpenLDAP 2.0.25 have SASL compiled into it, as there is a known problem
with OpenLDAP v2 when it has SASL linked with it, (i.e SASL ->
LDAP ->SASL -> LDAP ..... loop).

0 - Update to 1.5.27
    (sasl-1.5.27-ldap-ssl-filter-mysql-patch3)
1 - Fix OpenLDAP v1, PAM pwcheck daemon, JavaSASL
    (sasl-1.5.27-ldap-ssl-filter-mysql-patch3)
2 - KRB5 Fix
3 - Update to sasl-1.5.27-ldap-ssl-filter-mysql-patch4
4 - Update to fixed sasl-1.5.27-ldap-ssl-filter-mysql-patch4
5 - Move include files to sasl1
6 - Enable saslauthd, and make it default pwcheck method

Try changing the ports Makefile to use *patch3 instead of *patch4, then run
a make makesum, and make build/install.  Then test if you can use LDAP.

Let me know the results.

Another option you have is to switch to using saslauthd (w -a pam), then
configuring PAM for LDAP lookups (pop3, imap, ..).

Scot