Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 11:27:51 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>, USB BSD list <usb-bsd@makelist.com>
Subject:   Re: double CVS repositories

On Monday, 14 December 1998 at 14:20:31 +0100, Nick Hibma wrote:

> Anyone working on a project in which 2 entirely different repositories
> are being kept up to date simultaneously?

Well, no--I have 3 (FreeBSD src/doc/ports, gnats, XFree86).

> The problem we have is that we (Lennart, NetBSD and myself, FreeBSD)
> would like to have a CVS repository to which we commit changes to the
> USB source, but at the same time would like to commit things to the
> repository of the OS as well.
>
> Now this would be possible by writing a number of scripts that get
> executed when committing to a local repository. But that does not sound
> very sexy.

There's not very much to do.  About the only thing I've done is to set
CVSROOT to 'unassigned'  (which says nothing to cvs, but plenty to
anybody who gets a message like:

  # cvs update
  cvs [update aborted]: CVSROOT unassigned must be an absolute pathname

> Anyone any better solutions to this problem? Anyone any working examples
> we could copy?

There's really nothing to it.  You need to set CVSROOT to the
appropriate repository when you check out, but not when you update
(the information is in the CVS directories off each data directory).
If you're using cvsup, you need to create separate cvsupfiles pointing
to the repositories, and it's a good idea to get a relatively recent
copy of the repository by other means (for the FreeBSD source tree, I
got a tape, for the others I duplicated and extracted a .tar.gz file).

I suppose I've left some of your concerns unanswered.  Let me know
what they are, and I'll answer them.

Greg