Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 1996 22:20:55 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        root@synthcom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DOS File system fixes

On Tue, 9 Jan 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > . . . . .
> > DBLSPACE should be in there somewhere (though admittedly not a top
> > priority).
>
> DoubleSpace is Evil.  So is DriveSpace and DriveSpace 3.
>
> Probably the correct way to use them is to establish a virtual machine
> mapping (which means adding TSS support) and load the .BIN from IO.SYS
> just like DOS does.
>
> Then make your INT 21 calls in the context of that VM in order to do
> your FS I/O.

I'd forgotten the whole story about MRCI and MRCI 2, DoubleSpace and
DriveSpace, and was under the mistaken impression everything was still
open, documented and (relatively) uncomplicated, until Neil Bradley
mentioned something in another posting.

So, you're right, we'd have to run the .BIN ... which is beginning to
sound a bit like work, unless we arrange to run other, better things
too.

Though, personally, I've never been attracted to the idea of FreeBSD
running DOS or Windows apps: I don't know how others feel about this.

Thanks for the input.

--
Robert Nordier
rnordier@iafrica.com