Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 13:20:01 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, alpha@freebsd.org
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Alphas, the website, the FAQ, and the Handbook

On Mon, Aug 09, 1999 at 10:06:07AM -0400, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> I'm *VERY* glad you're doing this.  We've needed some major help for a
> very long time.

Just before you get too excited -- my lack of available time means that
I can't do a whole lot of work on this.  What I can do is co-ordinate
other's efforts, and commit things to the website and/or FAQ and Handbook
on other people's behalf.

I stress that I *know* nothing about Alpha's on a hardware level, and the
closest I've got was trying to install OpenBSD on someone else's Alpha
a couple of years ago.

> The first thing I'd suggest doing is ripping out most of the
> http://www.freebsd.org/alpha page & replacing it with links to a
> hardware compatability page, and possibly a software (ports, not the
> base os, the base os has worked for nearly a year) compatability page.
>
> I'd be happy to help out with a hardware compatability list, etc.

That's what I need.  I can take your work, pull it in to the FreeBSD web
site structure, and then commit it as necessary.

> My knowledge of how the FreeBSD web pages work is pathetically weak I was
> thinking it might make more sense for me to feed the information to
> somebody else, or to simply put up some pure html pages at my site
> that you could import.

That'd do nicely.  Ideally, you'd use send-pr(1) so that they get stuck
in the bug tracking system and we can handle them that way.

If anyone's got suggested re-wordings for the FreeBSD website and Handbook
to emphasise that it's not just for i386 PCs anymore, now is the time to
speak up.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>