Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:18:29 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Michael Henry" <mhenry@grey.ug.cs.usyd.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading notes

> I was recommending, only from what I've been told as a newbie, that in
> general -RELEASE is what newbies should be looking at unless there's a
> strong reason to do otherwise. It was only a guess. Now we have a
> learned view that newbies should never deal with a -RELEASE but should
> consider that their last option, after -STABLE and -CURRENT.

-CURRENT ahead of -RELEASE?

It seems obvious to me that the best release for a newbie is the one with
the least amount of bugs, and the most documentation.

If my understanding of -CURRENT is correct, it ranks last in both these areas.

In fact, I seem to recall a chapter from the handbook titled:

	"Who needs FreeBSD-current?"

Which states that the audience for -CURRENT is

    1. Members of the FreeBSD group who are actively working on some part
       of the source tree and for whom keeping `current' is an absolute
       requirement.
    2. Members of the FreeBSD group who are active testers, willing to
       spend time working through problems in order to ensure that
       FreeBSD-current remains as sane as possible. These are also people
       who wish to make topical suggestions on changes and the general
       direction of FreeBSD.
    3. Peripheral members of the FreeBSD (or some other) group who merely
       wish to keep an eye on things and use the current sources for
       reference purposes (e.g. for reading, not running). These people
       also make the occasional comment or contribute code.

Hardly seems newbie stuff to me!