Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 20:44:09 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Tani Hosokawa <unknown@riverstyx.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

>At 05:46 PM 7/20/99 -0700, David Greenman wrote:
>
> >  If you're talking about free software, then Linux has been out for two
>>years longer than FreeBSD. Current market indicators have Linux about 4 times
>>larger installed base than FreeBSD, with both growing at a rate of
>>approximately 2X per year.
>
>Let's suppose, for a minute, that these numbers were accurate (although there
>is strong evidence that they aren't).

   There is VERY strong evidence that they are accurate.

> It would mean that the gap between
>Linux and FreeBSD would DOUBLE every year, eventually causing Linux to
>leave FreeBSD in the dust.

   No, the ratio doesn't change when both double each year. It's the ration
I'm talking about, not the absolute numbers. If Linux stopped growing today,
then FreeBSD would catch up in two years if the current growth rate continues.

>However, in a real-life ecosystem, where growth cannot go on forever, a fixed
>ratio is not sustainable.

   Well, you're right about that, except your conclusion is wrong. The
statistics show that Linux growth is actually slowing a little and what
used to be a 5:1 ratio of Linux:FreeBSD is actually narrowed to 4:1.

>There is evidence that this is already happening. FreeBSD is already losing share,
>and the Linux:BSD ratio is increasing.

   I'd really like to know where you get your statistics. Mine come from
Redhat downloads (from the primary and mirrors), Slackware downloads and
CDROM sales, and FreeBSD downloads and CDROM sales. I'd tell you the numbers
if I were able to legally.

> Vendors such as Xig are dropping FreeBSD
>support, and no major ones are adding it.

   You're full of it, Brett. I just got back from a full day of FreeBSD
meetings and I can say with certainty that interest with third party vendors
is increasing. I'd like to know where you heard that Xig is dropping support
for FreeBSD - that's just total FUD with zero truth to that rumor.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com