Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 02:43:25 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        ruth moulton <ruth@muswell.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@qcsn.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Email [was: Squid will that be fried ?]

On Thu, Mar 26, 1998 at 12:48:57PM +0000, ruth moulton wrote:
> Sue ,
>
>  > Please, if you must use Netscape or any microsoft or other nonstandard email
>  > application, first ensure that:
>  > 1. You have thoroughly studied http://www.lemis.com/email.html
>  > 2. You understand what it says
>  > 3. Your email app (or whatever) is set up to comply, and
>  > 4. You know how to use it to ensure it complies
>  >

> Sue - what do you mean by a 'non standard' email application ? -

An application which may do Internet email, but is largely concerned with
other tasks, such as using proprietary methods to communicate preferentially
with others of its kind, or has another form of communication as its primary
purpose, eg web browsing or news reading.

Thanks for the notes on the RFCs and their location. It's good to have this
info handy.

> So, the point of all this verbage is that is perfectly OK to
> send attachments (What email.html says is don't send them
> unnecessarily), as long as they conform to the MIME standards.

Quite so. To send and receive email, one should, as an absolute minimum,
conform to the standards. Much modern software doesn't do a very good job of
that, or needs significant user intervention in order to make it do so.
I'm pretty sure that the ability to receive MIME is optional.

But that's not the only consideration. If our purpose is to communicate then
let's do whatever will enhance that communication without stepping outside
of the parameters set by the protocol, the established culture of the
audience, the resources available and the purpose of the communication.
Adhering to standards is only the minimum acceptable behaviour.

I don't know to what extent email attachments are technically right or
wrong, and whilever we welcome the diversity that makes up the Internet I
don't care much. Consideration for others leads me to avoid them except
between consenting adults in private.

Now before some of you go running off feeling "spoken to", let me clear
something up. I'm no better or worse than any of you, and nor are my
opinions. The only difference between you lot and me is that I organised
this mailing list and my penance is some unpaid work each day to keep it
doing what you say you want it to do. I guess that makes me more stupid than
anyone else here :-) So please, don't take what this outspoken newbie says
as being the One Truth. While people can make sensible decisions for
themselves nobody should have to tell them what to do. Suggestions more
sensible than mine are always very welcome, even if it takes a little while
to teach me that they're right.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-