Date:      Sat, 06 Jan 2001 23:40:36 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jon@spock.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, gibbs@scsiguy.com
Subject:   Re: NEWCARD update

In message <20010106140230.A48327@spock.org> Jonathan Chen writes:
:  - interface to determine existence of card need to be implemented.

That's easy to do.  I have code that does this right now that I'm
polishing for comment.

:  - I could use some feedback on whether my implementation of
:    card_cis_read/free is a good way to go about this.  I decided to
:    implement this in the style of device_get_children as it seemed to me
:    that this is a good balance between ease of use and being generic
:    enough.  Comments?

I'll take a look at this.  I have another impelementation sitting in
my tree.  It was what was hashed out on the list, so I know that
people would like it.  Justin also had an interface here that I think
I liked better and was considering abadoning my work in favor of.

:  - pccard children currently shares irq lines.  It appears to work for my
:    laptop, but is this good/correct for pci based pccbb bridges?  What
:    about ISA based pcic bridges?

*THIS*IS*BOGUS*  ISA CANNOT SHARE INTERRUPTS.  At least not reliably.
But since newcard didn't work for isa cards anyway...  I have a bunch
of uncommitted cleanups in this area, and will merge your changes into
that work.  That should be

: Justin Gibbs also has some nice improvements that might be committed soon,
: [Justin - apologies if my changes walked in areas you were working on], and
: Warner has been doing some infrastructure work cleaning up and organizing
: my messy code.  On the whole though, it seems that newcard development is
: chugging nicely along...

One again, I really wish that you'd run these by me/Justin first.
We're trying to cooperate here and we've got three sets of people in
the code that have declared publicly that they were in the code.

Warner