Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 1998 01:12:29 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Keith Stevenson <k.stevenson@louisville.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAM on FreeBSD (was Would this make FreeBSD more secure?)

> I suffered through PAM on a RedHat Linux box.  The combination of flaky
> Linuxisms, PAM, and the SYSV-style init drove me to FreeBSD.  I've been very

Please don't confuse a bad implementation with a fundamentally bad
design.  We've taken none of the modules from Linux (which even many
linux folks will agree suck) and we certainly haven't changed init.
All we've done is provide a much, much easier mechanism for adding a
new authentication type to a wide range of tools without having to go
patch each and every tool separately, as we do now.  That's just a
kludge, and the fundamental idea of making an "authentication chain"
which works generically for any tool which requires flexible
authentication is a fundamentally good idea.  Just because somebody
tripped over their dick and went face-first to the pavement on an
earlier implementation of a useful and somewhat obvious idea like PAM
by no means discredits the entire concept.

I also trust John Polstra's work a lot more than any 10 people I could
name.  If somebody paid him to do this work, he did it right.  How
about giving it a chance before passing any early verdicts?

- Jordan