Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 11:20:20 -0500
From:      Omar Thameen <omar@clifford.inch.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT and ECC memory

On Mon, Mar 23, 1998 at 07:30:54PM -0500, I wrote:

> Is there anything special about the DPT ECC memory that they sell,
[for their RAID controllers]
> apart from it being ECC?  DPT lists the price at over $1100 for 16M,
> but my vendor is telling me that he sells 32M of 70 pin ECC memory for
> around $70.  Why the disparity?

Here's the company line I got from DPT:

DPT ECC                            Regular ECC

1.  It will correct full 32 bit    Based on Hamming Coding.
word errors in a 512 byte page

2.  Hardware implemetation -       Must access data in 4 or 8 byte
no overhead on Motorola            chunks
processor on the HBA - only
when corrections needed.
(not 512 byte chunks)

3.  Corrects multi-bit errors      Corrects only single byte.
in word.

4.  Overhead -3% (Overhead         Has 12.5 to 21.9% overhead
+system resource usage)

5.  Raid Tower hot swaps can cause (sometimes) a glitch
and crash the system _ DPT ECC SIMMS can prevent this.
(electrical spike becomes odd bit which is taken care of
by correction).

I can't comment on the the claims, but at >$1100 vs. $70, we'll be
going with regular ECC.

--
Omar