Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 2014 14:41:26 -0400
From:      Daniel Corbe <corbe@corbe.net>
To:        Jim Ohlstein <jim@ohlste.in>
Cc:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, freebsd-stable stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: reason 23 why we've moved to linux

Jim Ohlstein <jim@ohlste.in> writes:

> Hello Mark,
>
> On 3/23/14, 11:38 AM, Mark Linimon wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 09:12:48AM -0400, Jim Ohlstein wrote:
>>> last I checked there were over 1500 active ports related PR's alone.
>>
>> Current count is 1851.  See http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portsoverall.py .
>>
>> The whole list is at:
>>
>>    http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portsprsbyexplanation.py?explanation=existing&sortby=prnumber&reverse .
>>
>> I did a little rough data reduction for curiosity about changes related
>> to "new infra":
>>
>> % grep -i clang foo | wc -l
>>        32
>> % grep -i stage foo | wc -l
>>        37
>> % grep -i staging foo | wc -l
>>        31
>> % grep -i options foo | wc -l
>>        31
>> % grep -i cflags foo | wc -l
>>         5
>> % grep USE_ foo | wc -l
>>        22
>> % grep WITH_ foo | wc -l
>>        19
>>
>> as opposed to:
>>
>> % grep -i update foo | wc -l
>>       280
>>
>> NB: I didn't check for overlaps.
>>
>> I was expected to see more "new infra" changes than 200.
>>
>> I will note that about a third of the PRs are from the last 3 months.
>> I no longer have an insight into how fast PRs are turned over but it
>> is quite brisk.
>>
>> mcl
>>

> Thanks for your response. I don't think that tells the whole story.
>
> How many PR's contain "broken" or "broken on 10" or "break" or "build"
> or similar? Another few I'm sure. Updates are important too. Many of
> us look forward to new features not to mention important security
> fixes. The only ones which may not be "urgent" or "important" are the
> new port proposals of which I counted 181. (I have a few in there and
> I am waiting patiently. I spent quite a few hours working on a port of
> MonetDB which sits there untaken. Maybe it sucks but I'd like
> feedback/help if needed. I have others for which I directly approached
> a committer whom I like and respect since he maintains similar ports,
> and was told he's too busy.)
>
> I'm not trying to make this more a bitch-fest than it is, but I'll
> point out the obvious that if a third of PR's are from the last three
> months, that means two thirds are older than three months! I don't
> find that to be "quite brisk". If the ratio were reversed it I might
> be inclined to agree.
>
> My point however, perhaps was missed. While I did squawk that the new
> pkg system is in a state of flux and therefore not appropriate for
> sole use on 10, I was separately mentioning the glacial pace at which
> ports related PR's get looked at, taken, and committed. There is no
> obvious triage system. It's simply if someone is "interested" they
> take the PR. If no one is interested, it sits. Imagine if a hospital
> [...]

How many of these PRs contain remotely exploitable security
vulnerabilities?   Of which, how many of these ports do you use on a
regular basis?

You like to talk about "triage" like the very existence of a bug in the
ports tree is a show stopper.  To use your example, context actually
means a great deal in an emergency room.  You would treat that gunshot
wound victim before you would treat the 1500 other patients in your
waiting room with self-inflicted bruises sprains and muscle pulls.

There's a finite amount of people available to respond to PRs.  They do
a pretty good job of maintaining the ports that are most often used.

It's been almost a decade since I've had a FreeBSD box fall victim to a
remote exploit.  By contrast, I constantly struggle to keep the
vendor-supplied linux boxes on my network from being broken into.

And if you're really so worried about corner cases, perhaps a more
pro-active approach to security is required.  After all, it really isn't
that much more work to maintain a software package from source than it
is to constantly scan and run binary upgrades.

-Daniel