Date:      Sun, 19 May 2013 18:34:51 +0930
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        fddi <fddi@gmx.it>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with port upgrade consistency using portsnap

On 19/05/2013 15:49, fddi wrote:
> Hello,
> I am using portsnap to update my port collection on FreeBSD 9.1
>
> the first time I ran it a few weeks ago I did|
> |||portsnap fetch|
> |and then
>
> portsnap exctract
>

> then I did a crontab script to update ports every night
>
> 0 3 * * * /usr/sbin/portsnap -I cron update && pkg_version -vIL=
>

> Now after a few weeks pkg_version is reporting me a lot of ports which
> needs updating

> py27-sqlite3-2.7.3_3                <   needs updating (index has 2.7.5_3)
> python27-2.7.3_6                    <   needs updating (index has 2.7.5)

That is correct. You are confusing two different things. portsnap
updates the ports tree, which contains the files needed to compile the
programs you install. It is only information about the programs and
version with instructions to compile. portsnap does not install the
programs for you.

pkg_version is telling you that the ports tree has information on new
versions available of programs you have installed.

> if I use  portmaster to upgrade my ports collection it is telling me all
> packages are up to date...
> so there is something not working

portmaster installs the binary programs for you. Look into this later if
the later info doesn't fix it.

> for example
>
> py27-sqlite3-2.7.3_3                <   needs updating (index has 2.7.5_3)

This is a python library to add access to sqlite db files. Don't confuse
it with python itself. The Makefile for this will be in databases/py-sqlite3

> but if I go into
>
> /usr/ports/lang/python27
>
> and I look in Makefile, it reports
>
> PORTNAME=       python27
> PORTVERSION=    2.7.3
> PORTREVISION=   6

While this isn't the Makefile for py-sqlite3, pkg_version is telling you
it knows about python 2.7.5 so this is not the Makefile that pkg_version
is looking at, but it would appear to be the file that portmaster is
looking at. It looks like you have two copies of the ports tree.

Check /etc/portsnap.conf you may have an odd setting for PORTSDIR.
Another possibility is you have an odd PORTSDIR defined in your
environment, what does echo $PORTSDIR show? You may also have bad
settings in cron - run portsnap fetch update manually and see if
python27/Makefile changes

Start by sorting out why pkg_version and portmaster are using different
files before you progress further.