Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 2002 13:06:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Miller <dmiller@sparks.net>
To:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@geekpunk.net>
Cc:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>, "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@dreamscape.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dump on mounted fs

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, David Malone wrote:
>
> >Maybe I should resign to using tar on Linux. Can tar be made not
> >to modify the ctime, mtime and atime?
>
> This is what the general consensus on the amanda-users list has been for
> some time now.  Linux ext2 dump/restore is massively broken.  If you're
> using something like XFS though you can probably get away with
> xfs_dump/restore.  Personally I prefer to use tar anyway.  A tar archive
> is restorable on most any unix without requiring a vendor/filesystem
> specific restore binary be available.  That's one less point of failure
> in restoring the backups.  The only place where tar really won't cut it
> is when you're using special filesystem features not traditionally
> supported by unix, such as filesystem ACLs.

A year ago there was a problem with backing up files larger than either
2GB or 4GB, I forget which.  A beta version of star would handle it, but
all the native versions of tar and gtar failed.

That's often not a problem, but if you're backing up db container files on
big drives it's an issue.

--- David