Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 2009 18:40:52 -0500
From:      Thomas Dickey <dickey@radix.net>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xorg 7.4: "button" fonts unreadable ...

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 07:28:58PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>=20
> Have searched Google, but haven't been able to find anything that either=
=20
> worked, or was relevant ... I just cleaned out and reinstalled all of my=
=20
> ports ... when I load up an xterm (the one I'm working in right now), all=
=20
> the text in it is fine and readable ... but, the top of the xterm, where=
=20
> it has the 'xterm icon' and some writing to the right of it, the writing=
=20
> is unreadable ...

Basically, the xorg hackers decided to improve your user experience by
lobotomizing the fonts - I modified xterm to recover from that by falling
back to "fixed" (I'm unsure why they left that intact).

However, window titles are owned by your window manager.
=20
> If I load up firefox3, the web pages are viewable and readable, but stuff=
=20
> like the location bar are unreadable (I have to hope I type without makin=
g=20
> a mistake) ...
>=20
> I'm not sure what to look at ... have checked the output from starting X,=
=20
> and not seeing anything font related ...

Best advice is to locate the "misc" fonts (or whatever it's called in
FreeBSD) and install those.  That'll work until the next improvement to
the X server's font handling.

--=20
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net