Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 1998 14:58:49 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XF86Setup

On Fri, 20 March 1998 at 22:48:27 -0500, BEAUPRE Antoine wrote:
> I can't get trough the setup process of X free86.
> After running XF86Setup, it tries to run the Xserver and and completely
> distoorted images appears. The screen seems to be shrink in horizontal
> andspawn in multiple copies on the screen.

This is a good indication that your screen parameters are messed up.
To add injury to insult, this can burn out your monitor if you leave
it like that.

I hate to say "go and buy a book", but you really should get "The
Complete FreeBSD", second edition
(http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/bsdbook2.htm), which describes what to
do to solve this and many other problems (including Internet setup).
In the meantime, I can just hope that somebody with more time than I
have can help, and suggest that you check the resolutions and
board/monitor parameters again.  It's tricky.

Greg