Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 16:33:55 +0800
From:      "Mars G. Miro" <mars@cannoncreek.com>
To:        "Philip Kizer" <pckizer@nostrum.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: buildkernel errors

> Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org> wrote:
> >> cc -c -x
assembler-with-cpp -DLOCORE -O -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-exte

rns -Wstrict-prototypes  -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcas

>> -qual  -fformat-extensions -ansi -g -nostdinc -I- -I. -I/usr/src/sys -I/u
sr/s
> >> rc/sys/../include  -D_KERNEL -include
pt_global.h -elf  -mpreferred-stack-bo
> >> undary=2 /usr/src/sys/i386/i386/bioscall.s
> >> /tmp/ccN41074.s: Assembler messages:
> >> /tmp/ccN41074.s:773: Error: operands given don't match any known 386
instruct
> >> ion
> >> /tmp/ccN41074.s:838: Error: operands given don't match any known 386
instruct
> >> ion
> >
> >This is usually seen when one tries to do a buildkernel before doing a
> >buildworld.  Did the buildworld finish as usual?  If not, make sure it
> >does and try again.
>
> FYI: A co-worker is seeing this exact problem upgrading from 4.0-RELEASE
> 4.2-STABLE right now too, and I had her pedantically follow UPDATING.
Just
> to make triple-sure of the process, I'm having her rm -r in /usr/src and
> /usr/obj and start from a completely fresh cvsup.  I'll post back whether
> we see the same error again.

I've re-cvsupped to Feb.1  and no errors whatsoever(I'll try checking via
cvsweb later). I think the problem maybe in the new implementation of
KERNCONF?,  I was using the old # make buildkernel KERNEL=KERNELNAME and it
went past the buildkernel w/o errors.

Now on to installing[kernel/world] and merge!

> -philip
>
> --
> Philip Kizer,
> USENIX Liaison to Texas A&M University       <usenix@tamu.edu>