Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:59:21 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   bind 9.1.0 (was Re: bind8.2.3 and installation problem)

On 31 Jan 2001, at 8:55, Dan Langille wrote:

> Thanks.  For those that want to know, and I know you're out there:
>
> make PREFIX=/usr PIDDIR=/var/run DESTETC=/etc/namedb
> DESTEXEC=/usr/libexec DESTRUN=/var/run DESTSBIN=/usr/sbin
> DESTHELP=/usr/share/misc install
>
> I didn't use any of the other options...
>
> After the install, the /etc/named.conf symlink was no longer needed.
> ndc reload seems to be fine.  I'll do some more testing later (there's not
> actually any zones loaded on this box).

After hearing claims that 9.1.0 was harder to configure and then hearing
it was quite straight forward, I decided to try this myself.  Using the
above make command for bind9, I tried the latest and greatest.  It
compiled cleanly, but it looks for named.conf in a place I hadn't
considered:  /usr/etc/named.conf.  What option did I miss?

after "/usr/sbin/named -u bind", this was found in /var/log/messages:

starting BIND 9.1.0 -u bind
/usr/etc/named.conf: open: file not found
exiting (due to fatal error)

Also of note: the -g option is gone in 9.

--
Dan Langille
pgpkey - finger dan@unixathome.org | http://unixathome.org/finger.php