Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 2002 23:41:00 -0500
From:      Michael Johnson <michael@emjay.net>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why so many?

On Tuesday, Dec 3, 2002, at 21:45 US/Eastern, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> On 2002-12-03 20:01, Michael Johnson <michael@emjay.net> wrote:
>> So I decided to go for it...I got a laptop, never booted it into
>> Windows so I don't pay my M$ tax, downloaded the 4 CDs worth of
>> stuff, burned the CDs, and booted the laptop from the first CD.  I
>> dodged the Windows bullet.  Whew!
>
> Yuppie! :-)

Not yet...I need to trade in my Mazda for a BMW first.  *GRIN*

> Welcome to the FreeBSD side of the world.

Having played with other BSD like systems, I feel like it's a family
reunion where you're meeting family members for the first time.
Darwin/OSX and IRIX are both close relatives, but they have the nose
from _that_ side of the family.  =-)

>> Now, I have the install CD #1, and three other coasters.  I never
>> was prompted to use the other three CDs.  What are they for and if
>> it's cool stuff, how do I get it off there onto my fresh clean
>> install of FreeBSD 4.7?
>
> The disc2.iso image is a "live filesystem", IIRC.  You can use this
> CD-ROM as a "fixit" disk which, combined with the installation
> programs of disc1.iso, can be used to repair any installation you make
> from disc1.iso.

Does this mean when I screw something up, as I know I will soon, I
install the first CD, select the fix_it option, then it prompts me for
the second CD?

> The rest of those CD-ROMs contain precompiled versions of `packages'.
> Packages are programs that you can install on your FreeBSD system.
> You can install those either as part of your initial system
> installation, using the package tools provided by sysinstall (the
> installation program that you see when you boot the first CD-ROM), or
> later, using the pkg_add, pkg_delete, and related programs.

These I get since in the GNU-Darwin distro, the same apps are used for
the ports.  However, the ports are kept in an online repository and the
makefiles are stored in the /ports directory.

>> I already tried the SGI syntax I'm used to and did 'mount CDROM' to no
>> avail.  Then 'mount cdrom' and still nothing.  Is there an automount
>> like in IRIX or OSX/Darwin?
>
> 	# mount /cdrom

aha...syntax.  I did 'mount cdrom' instead of 'mount /cdrom'.

> PS: You might want to post questions to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> from now on, since freebsd-newbies is not a list for technical
> questions.

I think I may have misunderstood the purpose of this list.  Thanks for
the kind pointer.

-Michael

-------
   _
  /~\     The ASCII
  \ /   Ribbon Campaign
   X      Help Cure      Q:Because it reverses the logical flow of
conversation.
  / \    HTML Email      A:Why is top posting frowned upon?