Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 12:47:16 +0100 (MET)
From:      Ola Persson <smurfen@ludd.luth.se>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wradar!

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Michael Smith wrote:

> It's small enough that it's still fun for the people that are
> involved, which is a major criterion from my POV 8)

Yeah they seemed to like it. I guess they told you guys about the accident
they had there a few years ago. It was a rocket that ignited in the
assembly building smashing one technician in to a concrete wall. So the
guy I spoke with said that he REALLY liked it. But that he was scared at
the same time.

> IIRC they were/are Vaxstation 4000's running VMS; in the anteroom to
> the Tele-X control room was (when I was there) one of the old 11/750's
> that they used when they were setting it up 8)

Ahhh, we were about 60 ppl in that room and a guy just said something
about was purpose the room served. So I never had time to check out the
computers..... Wish I could have though. The NT machine I saw was on the
rocket launch countdown control desk.

> it; the road to/from Esrange was too much fun.  (Funny how everyone
> complained about my driving but never wanted to do it themselves...)

Bwahahahhaha, that road is cool..... :)

> It's definitely the middle of nowhere 8)

Heh..... Did you ever check out how big the crash area is ??? It is like
huge.... I don't remember the size right now...

Also, one time a rocket that was landing drifted in over Norwegian
teritory, and they immediately called in an emergency, fearing it might
have been a missile from Soviet :)

> Ah, I understand; you would have done the bus-tour thing.

On Esrange ? No... not really. We went by bus to Esrange, and then the bus
drove us to the launch area and back.

> Cripes, I was there for three weeks and made lots of noise about it
> both beforehand and afterwards around june last year 8)

That was before I joined freebsd-chat :=)
By the way.... June eh ? he he.... How did ya like our killer mosquitos ?
Really they are miniature vampire bats...

> You were probably off on a fishing holiday like everyone else that was
> supposed to be helping us!

Mmmmmmm, if you have ever been up in the Swedish mountains in the summer,
up by a lake high up, all alone, or with a few friends, fishing and
camping, you would have done the same.... Nothing beats that, nothing.

> There'll be a few of our people there around April or so, but it's not
> looking like I'll get to go again this time.  Drat.

What are you guys doing there ?

/Ola

Ps. Did you fly to Lulea/Kallax airport or did you go directly to Kiruna ?