Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 17:52:12 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        "Ben Weaver" <bweaver@tranquility.net>, "parthasarathi biswas" <parthax@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ISP setup

Whilst my impression of the typical man page is a recipe for total
confusion,  in this case I found man ppp had a very good explanation of
basic dialin server setup ...mind you it was largely done by none other than
the great Brian Somers.  There are three different setups discussed .....

example 1 tends to be fiddly .... I've had it working but example 2 is
infinitely more straightforward & reliable.

example 2 works fine as long as EVERY step is followed to the letter
(including the modem config so it answers on first or second ring tone).
Automatic login from unix works with no major problems, Win9x / WinME
requires a login script which I can supply if anyone needs it, & Win2000 is
quite fiddly.

I never could get example 3 to work ... it sounds good on paper but the
mgetty AutoPPP function doesn't apparently work unless mgetty is compiled
from source, and the makefile instructions are easily the worst in
existence.