Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 2010 12:35:54 +0200
From:      Iv Ray <pobox@verysmall.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   what to do when FreeBSD cannot do something?

Hello everyone,

I have been using FreeBSD since 4.x for web related applications (php, =
Apache, PostgreSQL, Postfix, Cyrus IMAP, etc.), and while I am not an =
expert, I feel quite comfortable.

Lately I find myself in situations where I have I have to take care of =
legacy Oracle (10g on Windows) and Interbase (6 on Linux) databases and =
sometimes legacy OS which need to be run for some time in a virtual =
machine, and I have difficulties to accomplish this with FreeBSD - no =
Oracle port, no Interbase port and only VirtualBox support, which is a =
bit unclear to me.

What is the recommended parallel way for a person, who feels comfortable =
with FreeBSD, when FreeBSD cannot do the job? - i. e. is it a good idea =
to go towards Solaris, instead of Linux? Or rather go towards some sort =
of Linux?

Thank you,
Iv=