Date:      Wed, 03 Nov 1999 11:37:42 -0600
From:      "Juan E. Navarro" <jnavarro@cs.rice.edu>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, Steve Sizemore <steve@cmpharm.ucsf.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't make -current world or kernel on 21264

Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Steve Sizemore writes:
>  >     *** Signal 4
> <illegal instruction>
>
>  >
>  > I even tried (unsuccessfully) to install a recent snapshot to get
>  > back on track.  I tried booting the kern floppy from the 19990915
>  > snapshot, which dropped back to SRM before ever requesting the
>  > mfsroot floppy. I also tried the 19991031 version, which got further
>  > along, but hangs on the screen where it is probing for devices.

I'm experiencing similar problems with my XP1000. When booting with the
19991031 snapshot floppies, the machine also hangs while probing for
devices. With 19990915 I was able to complete the installation, but then
the machine did not boot. ("Can't open file /boot/loader").

> This is very strange.  I did a number of buildworlds on my xp1000s
> during October.  I've never seen anything like these problems.
>
> What sort of devices do you have in the box?  Anything really weird?
> How much RAM?

I don't have anything weird inside: QLogic 10x0 SCSI controller with 2
disks attached, an atapi CDROM, and standard devices. The machine has
512 MB, and I discard hardware problems since it runs Tru64 UNIX.

--
++*Juan--