Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 20:08:28 +0100 (CET)
From:      BOUWSMA Beery <freebsd-user@dcf77-zeit.netscum.dyndns.dk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird wedge with ep0 ethernet and dhclient

Howdy!
I wrote on %.3s, %lld Sep 1993

> > I've been semi-consistently having my machine freeze up in a weird
> > way when attempting to run /sbin/dhclient when the Cabal Modem is
> > connected to an ep0 3Com 3C509 card.
> [...]
> up with anything more useful and concrete.  And I'll also see how a
> Different OS handles this card with the ISC dhclient.  more l8r d00dz

This will probably be the last I say about this stupid card.
However:
It seems that I can't get into the debugger when the machine freezes
at multi-user startup no matter what I do.

It also seems that even when FreeBSD wedges, I can boot into NetBSD,
which somehow appears to initialize the card so that it can run the
dhclient program without problems.  After that, I can usually reboot
into FreeBSD and it Just Works.  Usually, but not always.

Usually after I've used the card successfully with FreeBSD, I can
power-down the machine and later boot without problems.  Except once
when the power cord proper was disconnected for some time.

Both FreeBSD-stable and FreeBSD-current suffer this problem at boot.
I think I couldn't get dhclient to work after boot with -current, but
I could be remembering wrong.

I dunno if it's Useful Information that NetBSD boots and runs dhclient
with the 3C509 card immediately after FreeBSD wedges and that following
that, FreeBSD works, for a while, usually.

Unfortunately, since normally syslogd starts after dhclient, none of
the info messages get logged, and it's not immediately obvious where
it freezes, *if* I wanted to put more work into this rather than just
tossing the 3C509 out the window and using a different card.

That's enough about that.
barry bouwsma