Date:      Thu, 6 May 1999 17:58:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Boot blocks Questions (was: superblocks in FFS)

I have some questions regarding the new boot blocks used in FreeBSD 3.1:

(1) Can these boot blocks (I assume that they can occupy at most 15
sectors because we need one sector for the disklabel in the first 16
sectors.  BBSIZE == 8192)  reside in a filesystem other than the root file
system?

(2) Is the boot block code smart enough to find the kernel or loader
(/boot/loader) in a different FreeBSD slice (Suppose we have more than one
FreeBSD slice on the same machine and the root filesystem happens to be on
a different slice. I believe that the slice where the boot block code is
used must be set to be active).

(3) It seems to me that the loader (/boot/loader) can set up some kernerl
configuration parameters (e.g. nmbcluster) that override what you have in
the kernel.  Can anyone describe a little for me on how this is achieved?

Any help is appreciated.