Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 08:40:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Subject:   Re: Need review - patch for socket locking and ref counting

On 17-Nov-01 Terry Lambert wrote:
> Matthew Dillon wrote:
>>
>>     I've thought about it a bit and I've come to the conclusion that
>>     we should *not* have multiple mutex pools.
>
> It's pretty obvious even under casual thought that the deadlock
> avoidance can't work correctly in theis scenario, so you MUST
> limit yourself to last acquisition.

Err, witness doesn't do deadlock avoidance, and it just checks lock orders.
However, the problem is that the order of a larger lock (reader writer lock) is
being compared with those of its components.  Obviously one is going to acquire
the lock used to implement a reader/writer lock both while holding and not
holding the reader/writer lock.  Witness cannot efficiently handle this, so
instead we disable witness checks on the component locks.

> By the same token, it does not make sense to permit recursion on
> such mutexes.

Err, we don't on most mutexes.