Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 15:45:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>, <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Is the technique described in this article do-able with

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> > not really. you can change chflags on a live machine.
>
> How do you do it when there is an elevated securelevel(8)?

not really sure off hand :)

i don't think that it can be done, at least, not without taking a really
good look at the code first, and deliberately trying to find a way to
bypass the kernel's watch on file permissions and the chflags information.

note that i belive most people use the system in "-1" or "0" mode, post
install. i did, for a long long while during my first year of FreeBSD
usage. to this day, for remote handling of some machines, i still leave
them at securelevel "0"  for kernel upgrades.. but these are "low risk"
machines, usually with very few services (read: single use) and/or they
are easily replaced if there is a compromise.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche