Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 1997 12:35:35 -0600
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
Cc:        dkelly@hiwaay.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Just CVS (was Re: CVS question, sendmail, named)

Chris Timmons replied:

> Hmmmm.... doing a 'make release' without a CVS repository might be a
> little hard.  It checks out a revision of the source for the release you
> are building from CVS. However, you could certainly look through
> /usr/src/release/Makefile to see if you could short-circuit things a bit
> to use a copy of your local sources (skipping CVS.)

I'll look into hacking release's Makefile.

> One other thing you will want to know if you start rolling your own
> releases:  you'll need to be running a kernel with the vn pseudo-device,
> as in:
>
> pseudo-device   vn              #Vnode driver (turns a file into a device)
>
> If you have a slow machine and start a make release without running a
> kernel that has this compiled in - you will get an unpleasant surprise :(

I read in release/Makefile that I needed vn. Forgot if that was before or
after something happened that I needed it for. Whatever the case I don't
remember any tremendously unpleasant surprises. Maybe I added vn to my
kernel in time. Or somebody detected the lack of vn in the Makefile and
aborted?

> You don't NEED to have the CD-ROM to get the CVS repository, particularly
> if you are in a LAN environment and have 56KB or greater connectivity.
> Doing the initial download over a slow dialup is likely to be
> unsatisfying.

Ah, I don't have that kind of network connection at home and at work its thru a firewall that doesn't do socks.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net