Date:      Mon, 04 Aug 2003 12:50:27 -0700
From:      Robby Desmond <rdesmond@els.ucsb.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help with trap 10 on install startup

Hello,

Upon searching the archives, I have been unable to find this problem elsewhere.

I am booting the 5.0-mini CD on a Gateway 920 Server (can you say
inexpensive boys and girls) and the kernel won't boot. At first, I thought
it was ACPI, since others seem to be having issues with that, but disabling
ACPI just meant that it didn't pop anything on screen before it panicked.

I assume, then, that what is loaded after acpi is causing the panic, but I
don't know what it is.

Here is the error message that I get

Fatal trap 10: trace trap while in vm86 mode
instruction pointer	=0xf000:0xf842
stack pointer		=0x0:0xff8
frame pointer		=0x0:0x0
code segment		=base 0x0, limit 0x0, type 0x0
			=DPL 0, pres 0, def32 0, gran 0
processor eflags	=interrupt enabled, vm86, IOPL=0
current process	=0 ()
trap number		=10
panic: trace trap
Uptime 1s

I know the CDROM works on other systems we have here, so I'm forced to
assume some sort of hardware incompatibility. The system is fairly
standard, but if anyone knows of issues with ServerWorks MoBos or Gateway
servers in general, please let me know.

Otherwise, if there is a more general issue with FreeBSD on bootup, also,
please let me know.

-Robby

Robert Desmond
Systems Administrator