Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 22:09:51 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

At 08:44 PM 7/22/99 -0700, David Greenman wrote:

> > It would mean that the gap between
> >Linux and FreeBSD would DOUBLE every year, eventually causing Linux to
> >leave FreeBSD in the dust.
>
>    No, the ratio doesn't change when both double each year.

No, but the size of the gap doubles each year. And that's what vendors
and users alike care about.

 >>However, in a real-life ecosystem, where growth cannot go on forever, a fixed
> >ratio is not sustainable.
>
>    Well, you're right about that, except your conclusion is wrong. The
>statistics show that Linux growth is actually slowing a little and what
>used to be a 5:1 ratio of Linux:FreeBSD is actually narrowed to 4:1.

You're basing your figures on downloads (see below), which are not a reliable
measure of installed base. Many of those downloads are upgrades for existing
systems.

 >  I'd really like to know where you get your statistics. Mine come from
>Redhat downloads (from the primary and mirrors), Slackware downloads and
>CDROM sales, and FreeBSD downloads and CDROM sales. I'd tell you the numbers
>if I were able to legally.

Alas, your data is not complete. You're not tracking all of the distributions
of Linux (in the above, for example, you omit Caldera and SuSE), and -- again --
downloads aren't an accurate metric at all. Sales are a BIT better as a metric,
but you still cannot tell the upgrades from the new installs.

> > Vendors such as Xig are dropping FreeBSD
> >support, and no major ones are adding it.
>
>    You're full of it, Brett. I just got back from a full day of FreeBSD
>meetings and I can say with certainty that interest with third party vendors
>is increasing. I'd like to know where you heard that Xig is dropping support
>for FreeBSD -

Jordan said so explicitly on this list. They've dropped support for FreeBSD
from all but one of their products: their X server. Want their new CDE? Sorry,
no can do. That's Linux-only. (See their Web site.)

And, as I've mentioned, Borland is so biased toward Linux that it's tough
to request FreeBSD support on their survey.

--Brett