Date:      Fri, 04 Apr 2008 21:59:56 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble with IPFW or TCP?

--------------enig99AEA128A080BA6C64C18C77

Ian Smith wrote:

> That's pretty well described under keep-state and elsewhere.  Good ol'
> ipfw(8) has yet to let me down, and like Ivan I recall keep-state rules=

> (albeit only for UDP) without any check-state working just fine.
>=20
> Not that any of that helps solve Ivan's problem ..

Thanks for verifying this. I've reread what I posted and I think I=20
wasn't clear about one thing: it's not exactly a "hard" problem - as I=20
said, connections do get established and apparently they get processed=20
(the effects of those HTTPS messages are present). What troubles me is=20
that I wouldn't expect that to happen, considering the ipfw log messages =

I've posted. In short, either:

a) The senders (or something in between like a broken router; but note=20
that the 7.x machine behind the same infrastructure isn't generating the =

symptomatic log records) keeps sending spurious packets long after the=20
TCP session (communication) is actually completed. Someone with better=20
knowledge of TCP flows could maybe verify that. HTTPS messages are sent=20
every 15 minutes and I'd expect various timers to timeout the connection =

if the ACKs aren't processed.

b) The receiving side somehow bounces the packets around, reinserting=20
them after the TCP session is done. This would be weird. The server from =

which the posted logs and traces come from isn't running anything=20
special like netgraph, bpf applications, routed. It's basically a web=20
server.