Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 1998 16:09:27 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Photon Blizzard <photon@photons.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Welcome to freebsd-chat]

On Fri, Mar 20, 1998 at 10:50:05PM -0600, Photon Blizzard wrote:

> Welcome to the freebsd-chat mailing list!

I think you might be trying to demonstrate a point that I agree with.
The mailing list descriptions don't make sense from our perspective.
If you're a hacker and assume everyone else is too, then they make sense.

Freebsd-chat is for the people who know most about FreeBSD.
They have been there a long time and have their own social group
established. It's comfortable. They don't talk about things that newbies
talk about, and don't want to.

>  Here's the general information for the list you've subscribed to,
>  in case you don't already have it:
>
> FREEBSD-CHAT                    Non technical items related to the community

The meaning of the term "community" is changing. If I understand correctly,
we are not part of the freebsd-chat community, but we are part of "the
community"

> This list contains the overflow from the other lists about

Meaning other highly technical lists.
"technical" is another word I'm having difficulty interpreting.
I consider a basic man page technical, but they're looking at things so
technical that I can't even imagine what they are.

> non-technical, social information.  It includes discussion about
> whether Jordan looks like a tune ferret or not, whether or not to
> type in capitals, who is drinking too much coffee, where the best
> beer is brewed, who is brewing beer in their basement, and so on.
> Occasional announcements of important events (such as upcoming
> parties, weddings, births, new jobs, etc) can be made to the
> technical lists, but the follow ups should be directed to this list.

This reads as if it's written for a group of people who already know each
other pretty well.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-