Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 19:56:41 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>
To:        shocking@prth.pgs.com
Cc:        dfr@nlsystems.com, cokane@one.net, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, shocking@ugly.prth.tensor.pgs.com
Subject:   nvidia driver for XF86 4.0 (was: DRI on XF86 4.0)

> I see that nVida have released their Linux binary drivers which are apparently as
> fast as or faster than their windows counterparts.

I am in contact with nvidia about creating a FreeBSD kernel module,
they say it is not too difficult.

> There are supposedly some legal encumberances to be gotten rid of before
> they can fully open source them.

Why do you think so? Have you seen some statement from them in that
direction? If yes, I would be interested to read it.

I have seen several arguments for their move to binary only:

a) The graphics card market is very competetive and they fear to
   disclose trade secrets if their source gets out, after
   all the driver adds value to the hardware

b) They used patented techniques and fear getting sued when the
   source reveals patent infringements

c) There is only a very limited number of people capable of
   improving an open sourced driver while there are large number
   of less skilled hackers that might produce crappy drivers
   and hurt the company brand. So they gain not much by
   disclosing and risk to loose more by disclosing.

d) They don't have specs in a condition to hand out and don't
   want to get their engineer distracted with time consuming
   questions from the open source crowd

e) Microsoft pays them not to play by open source rules

Possibly it is a weighted average of all those what motivated
them.

Regards,
Marc