Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 09:19:21 +0200
From:      Lars Koeller <Lars_Koeller@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de>
To:        skrishna@cisco.com, freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Boot Manager/ BSD on second disk (fwd)

   Hi!

> Hi BSD'ers,
>
> This is in response to my earlier posting re: booting FreeBSD off the
> second hard disk.
>
> I have not recvd. much any solutions thus far. When I re-installed the
> whole thing again, I got a message "root system is read-only" in a
> dialog-box. Does anybody know what this means ?

      Perhaps the reason  for not receiving  many answers is the  fact that
   it's described in the FreeBSD handbook, if I remember right?

> What I have found is the following:
>
> - If I install the BootEasy (during the sysinstall), the MBR is put on the
> boot area of the second disk (because FreeBSD is on second disk ?). I
> changed BIOS to look at second disk first for booting purposes, and I got
> the F1- dos, F2- BSD prompt. F2 would boot fine from the hard disk but
> would error with a
>
> panic: error in root (I don't recall the exact string).
>
> I have to try to use the fixit floppy to see if I can fsck the root system.
>
> I tried several options on the BIOS to "enable/disable" parameter
> mapping etc.
>
> - The install diskette has an option to change the root file system at
> the Boot: prompt. I tried -a flag, but it did not seem to work.

       I did  not follow the  whole  threat! But if  I   remember right the
   solution should  be: Install BootEasy on both  disks, the first  and the
   second.  If your first  hd is of the  IDE  type (or  compatible) and the
   second is a SCSI, then you also have to edit/compile the bootcode.  Look
   into   /usr/src/sys/i386/boot/biosboot/boot.c  there  you   have  to set
   BOOT_HD.

   Hope this helps.

   Regards

   Lars
Lars Köller                      Phone:  +49 381/498-1665, Fax: -1667
Universität Rostock              E-Mail:
Fachbereich Physik                 Lars_Koeller@odie.physik2.Uni-Rostock.DE
Universitätsplatz 3              Anonymous ftp:
18051 Rostock (Germany)            ftp://odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de/pub