Date:      Sun, 8 Apr 2001 02:22:12 -0700
From:      "John Howie" <JHowie@msn.com>
To:        "James Wyatt" <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>, <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Theory Question

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Wyatt" <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To: "John Howie" <JHowie@msn.com>
Cc: "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>; "Crist Clark"
<crist.clark@globalstar.com>; <lee@kechara.net>;
<freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2001 8:16 PM

> If you have a large network to protect, maintaining a separate monitoring
> network for out-of-band control (of the main network which is subject to
> attack) can be pretty costly. I've seen VLANs suggested for large outfits,
> but that can be attacked at the switch level. You can use voice channels
> and PPP over serial, but filter the heck out of it and don't set a default
> route. At some point you will have to network to your IDS box if you want
> much functionality from it. If you simply have the box set to log out the
> serial port, it can be easily overrun (DoSed) if you have a good net
> connection.

James,

I have had so many people suggest VLANs as an acceptable security solution
that it makes me wonder... Is there someone out there (presumably a hacker)
pushing them? I agree with you, they are not secure. That is why I always
push for a separate physical network. And I always say that if it should
ever be compromised you just blow it away and reconstruct it. In fact, I use
the term "Victim Network" to describe an IDS/monitoring network.

john...