Date:      Thu, 6 May 1999 16:28:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot blocks Questions (was: superblocks in FFS)

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

> So the beginning of the slice doesn't belong to any CG at all.  But
> you're correct that the first filesystem in a slice may not be the 'a'
> filesystem, and it may also not be a root filesystem.

Since it could be a filesystem or a swap partition, neither FS or SWAP use
the first 8K of their space, just in case the bootblock code and disklabel
has been put on those blocks..

This is for historical reasons. If we were doing this now,
we would probably insist that the sd0s1a not be permitted to start within
X blocks of the beginning of sd0s1, therebye reserving that space,
(or assignign a special BOOT type partition, (as done in the VTOC system
used by MACH2.5))

julian