Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 1996 15:37:20 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        noud@knot.nl
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is there a sys.tar.gz??

> hi..cause of serial speed i'm swapping out a NetBSD/mac68k system for a
> FreeBSD v2.1.0 system..

Welcome aboard!

> I just installed..no ppp driver in the kernel..

The kernel that's installed does support PPP, but it uses the tun
device; this is used for "user-mode" PPP, /usr/sbin/ppp, which is
easier to set up and debug and is the recommended PPP program for
dialling out.

The ppp device is required by "kernel-mode" PPP, /usr/sbin/pppd, which
is the recommended PPP program if you want people to be able to dial
in to your machine. It's not enabled by default, as the other version
is more useful for what most people want and is more suited to what's
required during the installation.

> so i started looking around for sys.tar.gz to recompile to get ppp.
>
> I can't find that sys.tar.gz..is there a kernel with ppp enabled around?
> is there a sys.tar.gz around to ftp?? or do i need to get all the files??

Grab the ssys.* files from dists/src - they're a split tarball of the
kernel source (just do 'cat ssys.*' to reassemble the tarball).

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk