Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 09:42:17 +0100
From:      Andre Goeree <abgoeree@uwnet.nl>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X and X-libraries port mismatch

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 12:12:00PM -0600, Krzysztof Parzyszek wrote:
> I cvsupped -STABLE on February 1 and installed XFree86-4 from ports.
>
> The XFree86-4 contains the full release of X 4.0.2, whereas
> XFree86-4-libraries has libraries for 4.0.1. Thus, the ports
> that rely on X wil try to download 4.0.1 libraries even though
> full 4.0.2 is already installed.

And that is not all...
The Mesa part shipped with XFree86-4.0.2 is of version 3.4 while
Mesa in ports/graphics is still at version 3.2.1....

If you try to configure xscreensaver you get no GL. The message is
"we found headers but no libraries" or something alike telling you
your Mesa is screwed up..

So i downloaded and installed Mesa 3.4. It works like a charm :-).
It passed the tests (gmake check) almost without errors, except for
some related to CPU features, here's why:

You have to compile with --disable-mmx --disable-x86 --disable-3dnow
and other CPU specific switches turned off. The src/X86 dir of Mesa is
seriously FUBAR'ed. I also found some bugs (read typos) in configure.in
and Makefile.am files. I'm still working on the src/X86 dir to get it
all fixed ;).

I think it's time that Mesa 3.4 makes it into ports..
Even if it's only for those who have XFree86-4.0.2.

-- Andre.

NOTE: also tested x11-clocks/glclock and audio/spiralsynth.
      They work with Mesa-3.4 :)