Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 1996 01:49:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Dave Walton <dwalton@psiint.com>
Cc:        ian_stewart@nyro.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can FreeBSD be used in a commercial way?

On Tue, 6 Feb 1996, Dave Walton wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Feb 1996, Ian H. Stewart wrote:
>
> > >How do you define "complete OS" such that FreeBSD doesn't already meet
> > >the definition?
> >
> > I agree that it is a complete OS. I want to use it as a foundation
> > for a better
> > OS. It depends on what you consider complete for the market you
> > are targeting.
>
> Granted.  What sort of innovations did you have in mind to add?
> (I don't suppose you'd consider contributing to the further development
> of FreeBSD rather than going off in your own direction?  :)

I think what he has in mind is similar to what the Caldera (Novell)
people did with Linux, in creating Red Hat... add their own slick
interface, usable software (word processing, et al) to the distribution,
and sell it under their label.  They could do this, despite the GPL,
because all they had to do was include the Linux kernel source (they
could, of course, keep the source to their innovations private).

Donald Burr [d_burr@ix.netcom.com], PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara CA 93190-1212
TEL (805)564-1871 / FAX 564-2315 / WWW http://www.geopages.com/WallStreet/2072
PGP Public Key available by request (send e-mail) or on Public Key Servers.
** Uphold your right to privacy - Use PGP. **