Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 22:14:58 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        bright@hotjobs.com
Cc:        sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu, nate@mt.sri.com, bs_13943_34262@adimus.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fortran in the base system (was Re: sysinstall)

> You realize that doing so makes FreeBSD look bad to new compsci students
> who all have to take that dreaded FORTRAN class sometime during their
> education?

Yes, removing functionality is always difficult.

> Just one vote for keeping f2c and friends, or perhaps getting g77.
>
> Yes a lot of people have different expectations of FreeBSD, one of mine
> and many compsci students is a useable FORTRAN enviornment.

It has been claimed that the difference in disk space between f77 and g77
is not much. Could we have some numbers, please?

- How much disk space would be saved by removing the current f77?
- How much extra disk space would be needed if we were to replace f77 in
the base distribution with g77?

To me, one of the clear attractions of FreeBSD over for instance Red Hat
Linux is that the bases system is reasonably small - enough that it's
feasible to download it even if you don't have a high speed link.