Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 22:01:39 -0700
From:      gummibear@we.mediaone.net
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD and K6-2's

I'm thinking of upgrading my old P133 FreeBSD machine with a new
Motherboard, RAM and an AMD K6-2 350.  They're less than 60 bucks now. :)
I'm thinking about 64 megs of RAM minimum, maybe more depending on my
budget.  I have a Win95 machine running on an ASUS P5A motherboard which
seems really nice.  Thinking of getting another just the same, or maybe an
ASUS P5A-B which is pretty much the same but it's baby AT size.  I plan to
use the machine as a X Workstation, HTTP-FTP-TELNET server, NATD Gateway,
and SAMBA server.  I really don't want to spend more than 300 bucks for
Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and Case (if neccessary).

My questions are:

1.)  Does FreeBSD and AMD K6-2 350 make a good combination as far as
performance, speed, and stability goes?

2.)  Other than ASUS motherboards, what would be another good choice for a
low cost FreeBSD Workstation/Server?

Thanks in advance,

Joey