Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 14:45:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed)
Cc:        nash@Mcs.Net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw logs ports for fragments

Darren Reed writes:
> > Does the fact that the rule does not specify IP_FW_F_FRAG mean that
> > the sysadmin did not intend this rule to apply to non-zero offset
> > fragments?
>
> No, it means they're not matching fragments inparticular.

Right- this make the most sense I think. No IP_FW_F_FRAG means it's
a "don't care".

> > But what is the semantics of NOT specifying the IP_FW_F_FRAG flag?
> > Does this mean the rule ONLY applies to zero-offset fragments?
>
> No, it means you don't care about whether or not it is fragmented.

Right.

> > PROBABLY NOT -- this would be different, unexpected behavoir. Plus
> > everybody's firewalls would suddenly start leaking non-zero offset
> > fragments, which would be harmless but silly. OK, let this be decided.
>
> Huh ?

What I meant was that the answer to the question ``Does this mean the
rule ONLY applies to zero-offset fragments?'' is probably NOT. Because
if we change the behavior to do this, suddenly a bunch of rules will
change their semantics (ignore my confusing example).

> > Now the question is.. which exception to make?
> >
> >  #1 Don't even TRY to match rules containing port ranges and/or flags
> >     to non-zero offset fragments.
>
> Correct.

OK with me -- as long as everyone realized that this is going to change
the current behavior.

> >  #2 Match port range/flag rules to non-zero offset fragments by testing
> >     the rule AS IF it did not contain the port range and/or flag
> >     restrictions.
>
> Wrong.

That's what we currently do.

Whether #1 or #2 -- the important thing is to document it.

-Archie