Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 21:26:09 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Peter Philipp <philipp@globalserve.net>
Cc:        Jeremy Domingue <jer@hughes.net>, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disgruntled Linux User... questions about FreeBSD

> On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Jeremy Domingue wrote:
>
> > 3) Is anyone using SMP on FreeBSD with an Adaptec 7880 on-board SCSI
> > controller? Linux people keep telling me that this is not a good
> > configuration for Linux... how about for FreeBSD?
>
> Where I work we have a dual PII with built in SCSI controller.  In my
> opinion this was a bad buy, but that's the process of "gaining experience"
> I guess.

This is ridiculously bogus.  Integrated SCSI, and particularly a decent
integrated SCSI controller, can be an excellent buy.

> First off look at what a built in SCSI can do to you...
> Imagine yourself in a scenario where it's a sunday morning and the
> built in adapter somehow dies.  Not only do you have to replace the
> motherboard but you'll be looking all over town for a place that sells
> these dual cpu motherboards.  It's much easier to find a place with an
> external scsi adapter, and you'll be off after replacing it (or if you're
> smart you'll have a spare scsi card lying around somewhere, and just
> replace the broken one...would you have a spare motherboard lying around
> for the price it is?)..

This is like saying that you shouldn't wear cotton underwear because
maybe some aliens or them damn commies will suddenly infest your town
with a lethal cotton-eating virus.  "Pish tosh".

> I don't think we use the built in scsi on the box at all...it's just too
> much pain fiddling with it.  I'd stay away from it.

Well, having bought more than a few boards with integrated SCSI in my
time, and never _not_ used it, I think your sample is unusefully small.
8)