Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 2009 17:48:10 +0100
From:      Michel Talon <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DragonFlyBSD mail agent

"Janky Jay, III" wrote:

> By default, FreeBSD's Sendmail that comes in base already delivers mail
> to local users and reads the aliases file also. It supports configuring
> a smarthost as well. Unless there are some highly desired features in
> the DragonFlyBSD mail agent, I seriously doubt there will be any
> migration to it from Sendmail in the near future.

I was not speaking of replacing sendmail in the base system, only on
offering this mail agent in the *ports*, this is why i posted in
freebsd-ports. I should have been clearer.

This mail agent doesn't offer anything compelling compared to sendmail,
only it is much smaller and presumably more secure. For example if you
want a mail agent in a jail, you can envision to use this one instead of
sendmail because it is much lighter. Yes i know ssmtpd could do the
same, more or less but this one has a little more flexibility without
falling in the complexity of the big ones.

--

Michel TALON