Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 13:36:57 +0200 (CEST)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        msmith@FreeBSD.ORG (Mike Smith)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3Com 10/100 Mini PCI Ethernet

Mike Smith wrote:

> > I think the ep driver (which does some funny things to the eeprom) managed
> > to overwrite part of the eeprom so that the xl driver failed to recognize
> > the card. I then tried to add it to the vx driver (at that point i think
> > i started to know what i did) which failed too, so i wrote a subroutine
> > to display the eeprom contents which (because i did not understood the
> > the OP and SubOP command fields before running it) finally erased the
> > eeprom contents to 0xffff in all locations (which now prevents the card
> > from being initialized by the BIOS - has anybody an idea how to revive
> > such a PCI card ????).
>
> You would need to write the original EEPROM contents back into the
> EEPROM, after manually configuring it.  Very difficult.

Am i right assuming that pciconf is the right tool for this (manually
configuring) job ?

> > Do i understand you right in that you would do a fresh start with this
> > card using the xl driver ? I'm a bit concerned about again accidentially
> > overwriting the eeprom, its an _expensive_ card ... ;-)
>
> That's correct.  The xl driver is not likely to trash the eeprom,
> although I'm quite surprised that the 'ep' driver did.
>
> What possessed you to start with an ISA-only driver when the device is so
> clearly a PCI device?

It was the device ID 0x6055 in the ep driver which is identical to the
device ID in the Mini PCI version.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
 We all live in a yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine ...