Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 12:38:07 -0700
From:      Ross Finlayson <finlayson@live.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems getting WaveLAN device (wi0) working

Has anyone else encountered this problem (with a WaveLAN/Orinico card in a
ISA->PCMCIA adaptor):

On boot, the "pcic" and "pccard" devices come up fine, and "pccardd" is
started.  The WaveLAN card is detected, and the "wi0" interface is
configured (using my "pccard_ifconfig" setting).  "netstat -r" shows
correct routing table entries.  I'm keeping the interface in "ad hoc" mode
(port type 3: the default).

In other words, everything looks fine, EXCEPT that I'm not seeing any
traffic on the interface (e.g., when my other machine - a Windoze laptop
with a WaveLAN card also in "ad hoc" mode - tries to do DHCP).

One hint is that when I run
	wicontrol -i wi0
(to see the interface's settings), I get
	wicontrol: SIOCGWAVELAN: Invalid argument'
So, it appears that something hasn't been configured properly.  Any ideas?

	Ross.

ps. I had previously gotten a WaveLAN card to work with FreeBSD, but only
using a WaveLAN<->Ethernet adaptor box, which - to FreeBSD - looks just
like a regular (non-wi) Ethernet interface.  This is my first time trying
to get "wi" to work.