Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 12:23:25 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Subject:   Re: Is profiling code broken?

>In my battle to increase the speed of some of my computations, I
>will compile the code with profiling enabled.  Today, to my
>surprise my code seems to be executing infinitely fast.
>
>This is on a -current machine that was last build on 9 Oct 96.
>I'm in the process of doing a make world on freshly supped
>sources.

It workes with my version of -current with old (6 Sep 06) profiling
libraries.  I have changed kernel profiling a lot, but the changes
are now in -current and I haven't changed user profiling much.

$ time ./t
        37.95 real        37.89 user         0.03 sys

>kargl[264] f77 -o t -pg t.f
>kargl[265] time t
>       59.80 real         0.00 user        48.34 sys

This is unreasonable even without profiling.  Perhaps the statistics
clock has stopped.  This used to be more obvious because it also caused
zero system times too, but statistics counts of 0 for system time are now
converted to 1 so that short-lived processes are accounted for somewhere.

Bruce