Date:      Fri, 1 May 2009 16:34:49 -0400
From:      Wesley Shields <wxs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        Michael Hughes <michael.hughes@gmx.com>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: bacula-client-3.0.0_1

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 04:17:10PM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:

> Michael Hughes wrote:
> > Where did the 2.x series ports go? We currently use bacula-dir v. 2.4.4
> > on a linux host to backup our fbsd file servers, but some web research
> > and our own testing on our fbsd test file server found that
> > bacula-client v. 3.x is completely incompatible with bacula-dir < 2.5.x.
>
> Have you raised this issue on the bacula users mailing list?  If so,
> what is the URL into the archives so we can investigate.
>
> > Currently our production file servers have the bacula-client v. 2.4.4
> > port installed, but we would like to be able to port upgrade them and
> > still maintain a 2.4.x series bacula-client.
>
> I'm sure that's possible, not trivial, but possible.
>
> > I have searched through the cvs commits using the online FreeBSD ports
> > search tool, but I found that there is a version jump from bacula-client
> > v. 1.38.x to version 3.x. Yet, we originally installed the 2.4.4 client
> > on our fbsd file servers using a port, so clearly at some point there
> > was a 2.4.4 port.
>
> bacula-client is a slave port of bacula-server.  Thus, changes to
> baucla-client version numbers can be gleaned from  bacula-server.

sysutils/bacula-server is currently 3.0.0 and
sysutils/bacula-server-devel is 2.5.42.b2.

> If you need the 2.x branch, get it from CVS.  You'll need both the slave
> and the master.

The latest in the 2.x line of development is actually in
bacula-server-devel right now.

> Perhaps a 2.x port is a good idea.  A PR would be useful.  And perhaps a
> repo copy.

The versions are backwards for now, but I imagine -devel will be updated
in the future to be the latest development release. At that time we can
prepare the bacula2 ports which will track the 2.x line of development.

-- WXS